Look for

Monday, October 23, 2017

Secret of crafting: Cross Stitch Single Crochet


One day I noticed the crochet texture of some amigurumi dolls is different from my own toys.
For example this Teddy bear (it's taken from here a little processed for clearness)


мишка крестиками2.jpg


I guessed that the difference was in the method of making sc-stitch, but I had to google a little to find out the details.
So, if this method is still not familiar for you, we will learn to make cross stitch single crochet in rounds.
The first video is in English, the second one is in Russian.






Of course, for many dolls it does not matter which method was used for sc. I believe that crocheting with cross stitches is a bit more thick than regular sc. Any doll made using with cross stitch sc, from light-coloured and fluffy yarn, looks great because the unusual crochet texture is well visible.

I would be interested to know your opinion on this method.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this stitch. One small change makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ella,
    I have recently retrained myself to do this method of sc for amigurumi. I have found it is a much tighter weave and makes the toys a little thicker. This doesn't allow the stuffing to show through. It does make embroidering the eyes a lot easier as the stitches seem to be more on top of one another and at less of a diagonal. If you know what I mean. However it isn't as stretchy and getting safety eyes in can be a bit of a battle sometimes. I have completely switched to the cross stitch single crochet now. I do love how the neat and tidy the stitches are. Thank you so much for your informative blog. I have just discovered you and I am spending a lot of time reading your posts. I would love to subscribe but done know how. Keep up the great work Ella. Cheers Kimi @mytwistedloops

    ReplyDelete