Look for

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Secrets of crafting: How to Create a Stable Doll

I love and often make dolls that can be standing.


DSC_0257.JPG


Making a surefooted doll is not so easy. There are many factors to consider.


First, in the toy shape you need to keep a balance. A massive muzzle in front should be balanced with a tail or a massive backside.


DSC_0601разм.jpg


Secondly, the greater the volume of the toy body, the greater should be the feet. When crocheting from the bottom, you can later make decreases in order to the toy legs would looked not too thick.


And thirdly: the surface of the foot have to be flat as it is possible.


I usually use a thin cotton thread or acrylic, so I have no problems. If you use more thicker yarn, I would advise to sew up a fabric lining to the doll's foot.


And, of course, in order to make the foot surface more flat, it is necessary to insert an insole of cardboard or plastic inside the foot.


My Mom Hare has such insole inside her foot.


DSC_0159.JPG


If the doll has rounded paws, then I just use plastic buttons. Fortunately, my grandmother left them to me in huge number.


DSC_0375.JPG


So, you crochet a doll's foot, then choose a fit button (of course, you can take a piece of dense plastic) and just sew it inside the foot (you can make holes in plastic using a hot needle). Then you make a leg and fill it as usual. The best side of this method is that you can even wash such toys, your doll's legs will remain the same good.

Welcome to my Ravelry store. Here you will find many interesting patterns that include detailed instructions.




3 comments:

  1. Very good points on stability. Thanks.

    Question though, what can you do if the weight of the hair causes the head to be too heavy and throw off the balance of the doll? (Other than making the hair shorter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I do not usually make human dolls. Maybe really change her hair style? For example, make the braids and put them forward on the shoulders. Or make some special clothes: a long skirt folded in front or a heavy coat. Or try also put on the beads over the dress.

      Delete
    2. Oh,those are very good ideas! Thank you! I have a doll with a heavy head, that needs clothing, so I'll try these ideas. ^_^

      Delete